Registration to Police as a permanent resident in Ireland

Registration to Police as a permanent resident in Dublin, Ireland (everything you should know)

It is only through citizenship that someone can enjoy all the rights, entitlements, and supports on a fully equal basis with all other Irish people.

With citizenship, you can apply for an Irish passport, vote in all Irish elections, and have access to all State support services. While the cost of citizenship is high in Ireland, many people take this final step to have the right to call themselves Irish when they feel this is their home. Permanency, or long-term residency, means you can stay in Ireland for an extended period with the right to work, study and live but without full citizenship and voting rights.

Importance of Registration:

Registering as a permanent resident with the police in Dublin is a crucial step in ensuring a harmonious coexistence within the community. By registering, individuals provide vital information to law enforcement agencies, enabling them to effectively carry out their duties of maintaining law and order. It helps establish a sense of accountability, safeguards public safety, and strengthens the bond between the residents and the police.

Registration Process:

The registration process for permanent residents in Dublin involves a few straightforward steps. Firstly, individuals need to gather the necessary documentation, including proof of identity, proof of address, and evidence of legal status in Ireland. This typically includes a valid passport, utility bills or rental agreement, and documentation from the immigration authorities.

Once the documentation is in order, individuals can proceed to the local police station, such as the Garda National Immigration Bureau (GNIB) office, to complete the registration process. At the station, applicants will be required to fill out a registration form, provide their personal information, and pay any applicable fees. They may also need to provide biometric data, such as fingerprints and a photograph, to establish their identity.

After the registration is complete, applicants will receive a registration certificate, commonly known as the GNIB card or Irish Residence Permit (IRP). This card serves as an official proof of identity and registration, allowing individuals to avail themselves of various services, such as opening bank accounts, accessing healthcare, and proving their legal residency status.

Benefits of Registration:

Registering as a permanent resident with the police in Dublin comes with several benefits. Firstly, it ensures compliance with Irish immigration laws, demonstrating a commitment to abide by the rules and regulations of the country. Moreover, it affords individuals the opportunity to be part of a supportive community, wherein both residents and law enforcement agencies work together to maintain safety and security.

The registration process also allows individuals to enjoy the full range of rights and privileges that come with permanent residency. This includes access to education, healthcare, employment, and social welfare benefits. Furthermore, registration helps protect individuals from potential exploitation or discrimination, as their legal status is officially recognized and documented.

Below you will find some information about the different ways you can become an Irish citizen or apply for permanency. If you need further assistance, please feel welcome to call our information line. In 2016, 15% of calls to our Information and Support Service were about Citizenship and Permanency.

Citizenship through birth

Everyone born on the island of Ireland before 1st January 2005 is automatically entitled to citizenship. After this date, in order to qualify for citizenship by birth one or more of the parents must be an Irish citizen at the time of the birth of the child, or have a legal right of residence in the State for three of the four years prior to the birth of the child. Your child may also be automatically entitled to Irish citizenship if one of the parents is a British citizen or one of the parents is a declared refugee in the State. If your child falls under one of these categories they can apply directly for an Irish passport.

Citizenship through family

You can qualify for citizenship by descent if you were born outside Ireland and your parents or grandparents are Irish citizens, provided your grandparents were born in Ireland. In order to apply for citizenship by descent you may first be required to register your birth in the Foreign Births Register at the Department of Foreign Affairs in Dublin or at your local Embassy. This registration can take up to six months to process. Information on the required documentation and the application process can be found on their website.

Citizenship through time spent in Ireland

People born outside Ireland who fulfill the residency requirements for time spent legally living in Ireland can apply for citizenship. To get citizenship (become naturalized) you must have five years of reckonable residence in the State to qualify. If you are married to an Irish citizen or are a declared refugee you can apply after three years. Adults can apply for naturalization by completing Form 8 available on the INIS website. Applications cost €175 and if successful a further €950 must be paid to get your Certificate of Naturalisation. The Minister can waive the €950 fee if you are a declared refugee. Applications generally take six to 12 months, however, may take longer.

Naturalized parents can apply for their children by completing Form 9. Applications cost €175 and if successful a €200 fee is required to obtain the Certificate of Naturalisation.

Successful applicants will be invited to a Citizenship Ceremony where they will swear an oath of fidelity to the State. When you have your Certificate of Naturalisation you can apply for an Irish passport.

Permanency – Long-term residency

If you do not want to apply for citizenship you may qualify for long-term residence. This is permission to remain for five years if, for example, you have been on a Stamp 1 employment permit or a dependent of the permit holder for a period of five consecutive years. If you have been legally resident in Ireland for over eight years you may qualify for permission to remain without condition as to time (Stamp 5). Naturalized Irish citizens with dual nationality who are required to travel on a non-Irish passport may apply for a Without Condition Endorsement (Stamp 6) as needed. These applications can be made through an appointment with the Irish Naturalisation and Immigration Services, which must be made through email.

A Police certificate is an official statement about you issued by An Garda Síochána (the Irish police force).

It is generally used by those who reside in Ireland and who wish to partake in professional or educational activities abroad. It is required by some foreign authorities and provides some information regarding your background in Ireland.

The Police Certificate, which is normally valid for 1 year, states your:



Date of birth

Criminal record in Ireland (this does not include adult cautions)

This document provides information about the purpose of the Police Certificate, as well as detail on how to apply for one.

What is a Police Certificate for?

The Gardaí will only issue you with a Police Certificate in limited circumstances. This includes if you are:

1. Applying to a foreign consular authority

2. Applying for a foreign visa

3. Establishing a business in another EU State

It should be noted that a Police Certificate is not the same as Garda vetting, which is a more extensive form of background check required for anyone who works or volunteers with children or vulnerable adults.

You should also note that the Irish spent convictions legislation cannot be used to prevent disclosure when you are required to disclose information about your criminal convictions to another state.

How to apply

Requests for Police Certificates are not processed in your local Garda station but are sent to the Superintendent for the district where you live, or used to live. If you leave your application into your local Garda station for forwarding to the Superintendent for the district, you should take note of the Garda’s name or shoulder number.

Your application should include the following:

1.A completed Police Certificate Application form (pdf)

2.A certified copy of your passport, driving licence or similar for identification purposes

3.Proof of address or proof of previous addresses

4.The Police Certificate is issued free of charge and usually takes about 3 weeks to process.

However, if you are living abroad and require a Police Certificate from Ireland for employment purposes, you should get in touch with the local police in the country where you now live. Explain to them what you require and they may get in touch on your behalf with your nearest police station in Ireland and request any relevant information.

Irish people living abroad

Generally speaking, if you are an Irish person living abroad it is not possible to obtain a Police Certificate from Ireland unless you require it:

For visa purposes

To apply for residency in another country

In the above instances, write to the Superintendent of your police district here in Ireland and request a Police Certificate.

However, if you are living abroad and require a Police Certificate from Ireland for something like a job, you could get in touch with the local police in the country where you now live. Explain to them what you require and they may get in touch on your behalf with your nearest police station here in Ireland and request this information.

Registration of non-EEA nationals

If you are not a citizen of the European Economic Area (EEA), the United Kingdom or Switzerland, you need permission to enter Ireland. If you want to stay for more than 3 months you must have permission to remain and register your presence in Ireland with Immigration Service Delivery (ISD). This is how you get an Irish Residence Permit (IRP).

If you live in Dublin, you must make an appointment to go to the registration office in Burgh Quay. Outside of Dublin, you go to your local immigration registration office.

Who has to register with immigration?

You must register if you plan to stay in Ireland for over 3 months and you:

Are 16 or over

Are a citizen of a country outside the EEA (this is the EU and Norway, Iceland and Lichtenstein), Switzerland and the UK

Have received permission to remain in Ireland

If you are living in Ireland already and are about to turn 16, you must register with ISD.

People who have recently arrived from Ukraine

You do not have to register with ISD immediately. The Department of Justice is putting plans in place for registration and more information on how this will work will be published here when it is available. You can read about coming to Ireland from Ukraine.

Permission to remain

You may have already applied to ISD for permission to remain in the State and received a letter granting your permission. This could be because you have:

-Refugee or subsidiary protection status following an application for international protection

-Leave to remain following an application for international protection

-Permission to remain in Ireland as the family member of an EEA national

-Permission to remain in Ireland as the family member of an Irish citizen

-Permission to remain as the parent of an Irish citizen child

-Any other permission to remain that was made by application while you were in Ireland

-You should bring the letter you got from ISD with you when you go to register.

D’ or long stay visa holders

If you have recently come to Ireland on a ‘D’ (long stay) visa, or you are a citizen of a country that does not require an entry visa (non-visa required), you can register with ISD without making a written application in advance. This could be because you are:

Joining a family member who is has international protection in Ireland (family reunification)

Joining or moving to Ireland with your Irish spouse or family member

Joining or moving to Ireland with your dependant Irish family member

An international student

On a working holiday visa

Moving to Ireland with an employment permit

How to apply for an Irish Residence Permit

As soon as possible following your arrival in Ireland, you should go to your local immigration registration office to register. If you live in Dublin this is the Burgh Quay Registration Office and you must phone 1800 800630 to book an appointment. This Freephone number is open from 9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday.

What must I bring?

You should bring your passport (unless you have refugee or subsidiary protection status). You should also bring:

Proof of address

Proof of your employment if you are working

You should also bring information about your situation in Ireland. For example, if you are married to an Irish citizen, you should bring your marriage certificate and proof that you are living with your spouse. If you are an international student, you should bring proof that you have paid your college fees and have private health insurance.

How much does it cost?

You must pay a fee of €300 for your Irish Residence Permit (IRP). Your IRP is free if you:

Have refugee status

Have subsidiary protection status

Have leave to remain under Section 49 of the International Protection Act 2015

Are under 18

Are resident based on your marriage to an Irish citizen

Are a family member of an EU citizen

How to renew your Irish Residence Permit

Before your Irish Residence Permit (IRP) expires you should go to your local immigration registration office to renew it if you are outside Dublin. You will need to bring your passport, your current card and evidence to support your residence permission, such as an employment permit.

Online renewals in Dublin

If you live in Dublin you can renew your IRP online. This means you will not have to go to the registration office in Burgh Quay to register in person. You must have less than 12 weeks left on your current permission before you can use the online renewal system.

There are delays renewing IRPs in Dublin, and the processing time is currently 6 weeks. If your employer is concerned that your IRP is no longer valid, you can tell them that you continue to have permission to be in Ireland for 8 weeks, if you have applied to renew your registration permission. You can show your employer this notice on the ISD website.

To renew your IRP online, you should:

Complete the online registration form

Scan and upload your documents

Pay the fee

Get a reference number (by email)

You have to scan and upload the following documents when you are applying:

Biometric page of your current passport (the photo page)

Front and back of your current IRP

You should also upload documents that show that you are satisfying your immigration conditions. This depends on your situation, and may include:

Evidence that you are supporting your Irish citizen child

Proof that you have paid your college fees, have met the attendance requirements and are enrolled in a college course

Proof that you are living with your spouse or partner (if applying based on your relationship with them)

Your employment permit

You can read a full list of documents on the ISD website.

What happens after I register?

Following registration with immigration officials, you will be issued an Irish Residence Permit (IRP) by post.

You must carry your card with you at all times and show it to an immigration officer or the Garda Síochána if requested.

If you change your address or change your name, you should email

New passports

To renew your IRP because you have a new passport, you can use the ISD online system if you live in Dublin.

Immigration stamps

As well as your Irish Residence Permit (IRP), you will also receive a stamp in your passport, which specifies the duration and the conditions of your permission to remain in Ireland. If you are renewing online in Dublin, you will not receive a stamp in your passport.

The following table lists the different types of stamp issued to non-EEA nationals:

Stamp number Issued to

People with permission to remain in Ireland for a specific, temporary and limited purpose, for example:

Visiting academics

Retired people of independent means

Elderly dependent relatives of people living in Ireland

1.People who have received an employment permit, a working holiday authorisation or permission to open a business

1H Doctors with General Employment Permits

1A Trainee accountants

1G Graduates who are permitted to remain under the Third Level Graduate Scheme

Spouses and partners of Critical Skills Employment Permit Holders

Spouses and partners of doctors who have Stamp 1H or Stamp 4

2. Students who are attending a recognized full-time course of at least one year. They are permitted to work for 20 hours a week during term time and full time during holidays.

2A. Students who are attending a course not on the list of eligible courses for a student visa (including private secondary schools). They are not permitted to work.

3. People who are not permitted to work. This includes:

Ministers of religion and members of religious orders


Spouses, civil partners, and dependants of certain employment permit holders.

4. People who can work without an employment permit. This includes:

Spouses of Irish citizens

Partners of Irish citizens

People granted international protection (refugee status or subsidiary protection)

People granted leave to remain following an appeal of a ‘notification of intention to deport’ under Section 3 of the Immigration Act 1999, or following a refusal of an application for international protection

Parents of an Irish citizen child

People who have been granted long-term residency

People who have completed 2 years on a Critical Skills Employment Permit.

People who have completed 5 years on a General Employment Permit

4D Family members of UK citizens who were granted residence after 1 January 2021

4S People who received permission to remain as ‘timed out students’. This scheme closed in January 2019

4 (EU FAM)
Family members of EU nationals who have exercised their right to move to and live in Ireland. They do not need an employment permit or business permission to work.

5. People who have permission to remain without any time conditions.

6. People who are dual citizens and ask for an endorsement in their non-Irish passport

Registration to Police as a permanent resident in London, UK

Jobs and Live Solutions

You cannot copy content on this page